Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A computing power: Firefox 4.0 draws Ahead

After last week, the benchmarking project, I combed through comments and ran the numbers myself using latest Firefox 4.0 beta, Chrome 10 and 11 Opera. The results? It seems that Firefox 4.0 has the Crown of speed on Linux, for now.

If you look through the comments on draft weekend, you will see many results is standalone browsers or one or two browsers - interesting, but not of apples to apples comparisons because you cannot compare Opera 11 on a machine with Firefox 4.0 on another machine. But a few people who made the "work at home," did tally Firefox 4.0, Chrome 10 and 11 of the Opera. And I did so, taking a few hours Monday of this week to run each browser through the tests on a system running Linux Mint 10.

Here is the setup I used: Linux Mint 10 64-bit, Core i7 Q720 @ 1. 60 GHz and 8 GB of RAM. I tested Firefox 4.0b13, chromium 10.0.648.134 and Opera 11. Here are the results I received, with winners in bold:

SunSpider

Firefox 4.0B13: Ms. 296.3Chrome 10: and msOpera ms 11: 358.6

V8

Firefox 4.0b13: 3928chromium 10: 4637Opera 11: 3496

Kraken

Firefox 4.0B13: Ms. 6040.9Chrome 10: 14514.0 msOpera ms 11: 12244.5

Not surprisingly, chromium breaks out to come to landmark chromium team uses to test Chrome, and Firefox doing well come to reference using the Firefox team. (I do not say that the benchmarks are biased - I say that the teams are running various tests and things slightly different adjustment, which means that they perform better on the things that they test.)

To run the tests, I closed all other applications (not counting things like NetworkManager, course, or background applications as boy missed). Then I began each browser, ran each test three times and then left the browser. The scores listed are the best of the three. Also, I used the 4.0b13 Firefox Ubuntu APP rather than the 64-bit Mozilla version. I test that is using SunSpider and concluded that it was in the same district the 4.0b13 of Firefox provided by the app.

Bottom line? It seems that Firefox is just a little ahead cognacs. But really? There is not much daylight between the major browsers.

Thanks much to all the people who submitted "duties," too. It is interesting to see the scores for some of the browsers that I have not tested, such as Midori and Konqueror. Be sure to cream off through the comments and add your own results if you have time.

With three more Firefox releases planned for 2011, I will be keeping a close eye on the benchmarks and research of testing more on browsers that we use on Linux.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.