Sunday, May 29, 2011

Amarok 1.1 review

Neoteksystems, on 28 September we have come a long way with our music players in KDE. Of xmms, Noutan, Juk, and Amarok... but the progress now was a good?

by Neoteksystems

I've been a loyal user KDE for some time now. I started at the time 1.x on Redhat 7 (I think... can't remember if I used KDE with Redhat 6). From Redhat 7, 9, for now Gentoo Mandrake I saw KDE through all its changes. One of the arena of software that KDE has seen much growth (and is in no way the only area) are in the field of audio coach. In the early days, I've used xmms and freeamp. They were mearly although audio players and were not really designed to handle my digital audio collection (playlists just don't cut it!). The first backward here is that they were not native KDE pro rata, so that they felt place with all my other KDE pro rata. After some time, KDE has led a Noatun at the table. Noatun falls into many of the same category as xmms, but this time it was a real KDE application and "adjustment" with the rest of my stuff. There is a problem though, my digital audio collection grew and I needed something to really help me manage this growing collection. In response to this need KDE which we JuK. It is a step in the right direction, it could keep track of your entire collection, but it is still largely based on the idea of a playlist for separating your audio output. While this might not a big problem a few years, other houses major software began offering applications very strong to manage our audio collections. Apple comes out with iTunes and it basically rewrites the rules for how we treat our digital audio con. It is very fast and easy to find your music based on artist, album, genre or any number of other criteria. Microsoft has continued to update Media Player and with the version 9 (and now 10) brought us a tool to manage our collection of any media (now included video). WinAMP has continued to make progress, and with version 5 introduces a new media viewer which allowed iTunes like sorting and separating it quickly on certain criteria. It was time for KDE to bring a real coach to the table... Enter Amarok.

This editorial that amarok is version 1.1, and this is my first time to get to use it. Right off the coast of the bat, I can say that I am very impressed. I simply said he what folder has all my music in it and it very quickly catalogued everything and I was ready to begin listening for and manage. You are first presented with your collection in the left pane and can quickly create a playlist for an artist full collection or only certain albums/songs from there. Your current playlist is always shown in the right pane. Once you are in fact listening to songs the left pane can change a window of information on the song, album and other tracks by the given artist.



View the Original article